Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a couple of the latest critters around here
As y'all know, my 2nd born, aka the flute player, also has aspirations of becoming a vet. She really wants to be a neuro surgeon when it's all over. Either way, Dr. Weeks is coming soon. Check out the latest two. I have no idea of what kind of snake that is, but I do know that big lizard is quite in love tonight. He's gotta rock and a sun lamp. We were told he is blind, but he's not. Animal control brought both of them in a little while back.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The snake is a Mandarin rat snake. Never kept them myself. One book I have says they are difficult. It should take mice. Once it is established feeding, the mice may well be accepted dead. Not sure on the lizard, but if you want, I'll figure it out.

~~Greg~~
She said the snake likes mice, but they were having to cut them up, Greg. The lizard is a Bearded Dragon. He was so starved, the rescue vet put a feeding tube in him. He's got a passion for freeze dried crickets at this point. Thanks for the ID on the snake. Rat snakes are generally good snakes around these parts.
How big is the snake? I can get y'all an address for a place that will ship you appropriate sized frozen mice. Yeah..I thought that might be a bearded. They do well & live a relatively long time. Make sure the crickets are dusted with a vitamin/mineral powder. If you'd like, I can put you in contact with a friend of mine who used to raise them large scale. He would be a wealth of info on the beardeds, & he might have experience with the Mandarins as well.

~~Greg~~
The rat snake is staying at the Houston Zoo, so he's got plenty of mice. I will tell Faith about the vitamins for the lizard. He's pretty active this morning, sticking his tounge out, the whole bit. I had an aquarium style cage in the attic of the garage and the girls went and got him sand and such. He sure likes laying on that rock under the heat lamp.
is this the same cute fat lil' dood as in your pic( no I'm not talkin' about Howard Smile )... found these walking the rocks and the walkways in Aruba in the Radisson marina district downtown.. they are all over the place down there... they all look alike to me

[Image: IMG_0752-2Aruba121606.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0752-1Aruba121606.jpg]

and a couple of more in Aruba..
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Sta...042108.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Sta...042108.jpg
Ray

Ray: Those are green iguanas. They are established & breeding here in sofla in about a half dozen counties. Neighbor of mine says they eat real good. They grow to over six feet. The bearded lizards stay small..maybe a foot for a big male.

~~Greg~~
~~Snakeman~~ Wrote:Ray: Those are green iguanas. They are established & breeding here in sofla in about a half dozen counties. Neighbor of mine says they eat real good. They grow to over six feet. The bearded lizards stay small..maybe a foot for a big male.~~Greg~~

thanx Greg... like I said.. they all look alike to me... next time I get to see them In Aruba will be in early February on our Canal cruise..

every time I stop in Costa Rica these days and do a tour I think of your plodding thru the jungle looking for that elusive tiny venomous ( see I got that right--NOT poisonous) snake when you went on that annual Snakeclub trip to CR .. I used to think of nice Sailfish before that...

one thing though--> when you look up Venomous in Websters it says 'poisonous' ... they don't know no betterBig Grin
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/venomous
Ray

The new critter is in high cotton tonight. The girls went and got him a correct color temperature basking light along with a flourescent UV light just for lizards. He's sitting on top of his rock like he owns the place. He's also got a little hand sprayer to keep him moisturized. Considering he wasn't supposed to make it, he looks pretty good. When Faith gets him out in the morning, I will get a mugshot. It's a face only a mother could love.
Mont Wrote:The new critter is in high cotton tonight. The girls went and got him a correct color temperature basking light along with a flourescent UV light just for lizards. He's sitting on top of his rock like he owns the place. He's also got a little hand sprayer to keep him moisturized. Considering he wasn't supposed to make it, he looks pretty good. When Faith gets him out in the morning, I will get a mugshot. It's a face only a mother could love.

way to go... that's nice... hope he does well.. he is definitely 'livin large' with his own basking light... maybe I need one of those.. hehehehee:p Big Grin

did they name him yet..if not....here's a suggestion... why not name him 'Sannee Claus'.. he's a bearded one and it's right around Christmas
Ray

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a couple of fatso's PK 2 1,409 04-28-2019, 04:42 PM
Last Post: SpeckTackler
  Been a pretty good couple of days Bryan/BC 8 2,435 08-30-2015, 05:01 AM
Last Post: PK
  Wild couple of days..... Bryan/BC 17 4,163 10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
  Just a couple of a new system for bleeding and filleting on board Bryan/BC 8 3,374 07-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ~~Snakeman~~
  Latest Addition To The Fleet Bryan/BC 31 7,570 03-27-2010, 12:34 PM
  picked up a couple of nice ones, yesterday Mont 6 2,667 03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Mont
  we jumped a couple of nice sail fish this morning Mont 16 5,138 01-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Joe/GA