Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter
Hmmmmm. We're to get another 3" to 4" of rain today. That's working on 2' in the past 6 weeks. We have a bumper crop of acorns. The year-round birds have disappeared. The geese came at the usual time but kept heading south.

I've got this sneaking suspicion that the global warming theory is going to be put to a sever test soon :eek: I think I'm going to top off the wood pile.
"Fishing is an excuse to be on the water"
All the signs are sure pointing to a cold winter so far. We are still way behind on rain here, from 7 inches to over a foot in some areas. I should have planted rice at the deer lease, though.
Well, it dropped 4 inches here this morning. The pond is full for the first time since spring. I hope our ducks can still remember how to swim.
Yeah. I saw the radar - yellow from the Red River to the Gulf. Could have been worse though:

It's cool enough now for a fire when I get home........
We got another 4" of rain last night.The next two days might be some of the best surf fishing of the year for big fish.If the surf flattens out, the water clears up and the water temp.hits that magical number 72 it will be on. Life is good!

JD, I also have my firewood on the porch and ready for tonight
We have a big beach gathering this weekend, Rusty. You should make it to one of them sometime. I think the first ones down will be there at noon tomorrow.
Rusty - Wood's about to be lit, gonna be in the 40's tonight. Wine is chilling (I had a spare already chilled to get me thru Smile ) and dinner is in the oven. Life is good.

I did the surf thing a few years ago and got into the bull Reds at San Luis Pass about late October. Just me and 2 other vehicles on the beach. They followed a school of Menhaden in and the bite was on. Got tired of catching them. Had one slot fish all day. Love fall fishing.

Striper bite is on here at the lake. Big ones. Might get out Saturday as it's supposed to be sunny and in the 70's. Blessed Texas weather........and fishing.

Dan
I'd like to go to one of your weekend bashes. Sounds like a good time by all. I'll keep and eye out and join you sometime soon. There's nothing more fun than sitting on the beach with good friends.

JD, I'm glad you got to get to do some great October surf fishing. I've been down there the last couple of days. You couldn't buy a bite out of the surf. I didn't call that one very well. LOL You should see all the dead fish. I saw a beautiful trout right at 9 lbs and 30" long. Tons of mangrove snapper and everything else you might imagine. It stunk! Rusty
4" more today. Supposed to rain again Thursday :eek:

Reading 2Cool today, looks like they had a good offshore window for Tuna this weekend.
Rusty, the best beach fishing around here is High Island which is up the coast a bit. I got some pics of bull reds cruising the first gut up there chasing mullet. The flounder run is on too.

Dan, looks like we are gonna be blessed with some more rain from this front. The wind is howling from the south and they have flood watches and warnings all the way from here to your place.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Its Winter Lost Shaker 2 1,291 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Last Post: ~~Snakeman~~
  the first day of spring looks a whole lot like winter Mont 10 2,541 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Last Post: ~~Snakeman~~
  Winter: A Historical Perspective for Contemporary Times JD 7 1,878 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Joe/GA