Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ka-boom went the Desktop
had a major blowup on the 6 yr old Gateway Desktop...it's DOA... good thing I've been backing up all my data and thousands of pics I've taken on our trips to an external hard drive...

thinking back I heard some clicking-clacking noise the hard drive was making off/on everytime I d/l any software or files... I re-booted after a MS Windows update last week.. came back to a black screen.. actually the Safe Mode options screen.. only trouble is... there are NO options.. all of the 5 options when hit revert back to the same black Safe Mode text screen.. never gets past the Windows logo...

have been told the main hard drive is damaged---physically...and that the loud stuttering clicking I'd been hearing is a sure sign it was about to go bye bye..

been using my lil' itty bitty travel Dell Desktop 14".. damn this thing is small compared to my 22" monitor that now sits behind it.. had a bluetooth keyboard and mouse from Pat's 17" Laptop so using that

anyway... only thing I seemed to have lost and somehow didn't back up were my many old emails from T-Bird and a few days bookmarks in between the last backup and the crash...

not going to mess with either repairing the old Gateway now or getting a new PC( most likely that'll be the choice).. as we leave for a cruise next Wednesday...and since the DSL and Home Netw*rk are still functioning somehow.. the Gateway was the Main PC on that Home Netw*rk... will wait until we return in a month...

get back home March 20th after a 28 day Ft Laud thru the Canal to San Diego and back to Ft Laud... about the same one we did last Jan-Feb only two days shorter this time around..

hopefully there won't be as many friggin' whales like last year in Cabo--they were everywhere---way way too many to count of those 'fat bastiges'-- so maybe I can hook up with a billfish or two like I did in Guatemala http://community.webshots.com/user/stakeouttoo

and I bet you guys wondered why I've been 'so quiet'.. heck I'm tired looking thru a magnifying glass at this lil' screen...

[Image: IMG_0849-1Roarofsilence020609.jpg]

[Image: 02-06-09_1726-1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5188-1bigandlittle021109.jpg]
Ray

It's not the small screen my boy. It's the age of your eyes. At my age the eyes are so bad that a woman with double " D's " looks like an "A" cup.
Dan Sad
I guess it's like I always tell my neighbors.. if you want a bigger screen TV just move your rocking chair closer to the TV...Big Grin
Ray

That's about it. I'm getting so old I'm beginning to feel like Howard.
Dan :eek:
DanS/FL Wrote:That's about it. I'm getting so old I'm beginning to feel like Howard.
Dan :eek:

damn ...now that you mention 'Monsieur dirt-hisself'...you are getting up there !!!!:p Smile
Ray

Not very nice on Valentines day.

Today made me think of Chocolate, of course and remember the best hand made Chocolates I ever tasted came from a little store on Eastern Parkway & Bedford Ave. Ann Morris. Later when the neighborhood went bad, she had a place on Queens Blvd in Forest Hills. I wonder, PK if you knew that the famous old Barracini Chocolate, was owned by Hasidim?

Yes, I am getting older, but it beats the alternative.

Ray, you going to be stopping in Puerto Vallarta? Have a great trip, wherever it takes you.

Dan, how come you are now younger then me?:confused: :confused:
In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made non Fishermen.
this seems to be what happened to my PC... looks like the cause are these MS Windows Updates which many are having trouble with... MS moved these two to High Priority status for unknown reasons now they caused a lot of crap ... mine included...

here's my posting on the MS XP General Newsgroups... the guy that responded got sorta nasty with me.. he thinks he's a big honcho cause he's an MVP on there..

I let him have it right back if you read thru the postings.. I'm posting as Stakeout
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/exper...us&m=1&p=1

bottomline is .. no one can tell me how to gain access to Windows .. the Safe Mode with its 5 options when any one of them are chosen just reverts right back to that Safe Mode page...

I would say NOT to d/l or install Update KB925720 and KB925720 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925720

if you do a search on the first one you'll see many problems associated with it.. right now I have an 'anchor' as a Desktop with no fix in sight
Ray

Howard/Jax Wrote:Not very nice on Valentines day.

Today made me think of Chocolate, of course and remember the best hand made Chocolates I ever tasted came from a little store on Eastern Parkway & Bedford Ave. Ann Morris. Later when the neighborhood went bad, she had a place on Queens Blvd in Forest Hills. I wonder, PK if you knew that the famous old Barracini Chocolate, was owned by Hasidim?

Yes, I am getting older, but it beats the alternative.

Ray, you going to be stopping in Puerto Vallarta? Have a great trip, wherever it takes you.

Dan, how come you are now younger then me?:confused: :confused:

oy.. I had heard that a while back about Barricini...

yop on the stopping in PV .. should be there in port early morning March 9th for the day.. docks right across the street from Walmart and Sams...

lost all my emails from the crashed Desktop... what's the name of the jewelry store you know the owners ..and about where is it......you had previously sent it to me in an email early last year before our trip....... think it was in the marina area.. but not sure... in case we get to go down that way..

last time we went downtown to the south to the old district..wish I could think of the name... we actually decided the last minute to just hop a bus.. 50 cents each.. what a hoot... we no 'peekee' pannee' .. they no 'peekeee engee' ....brought us to the oceanfront shopping area where the Panploma Flyers (???) went up and spun down a pole...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruis...ode=2_2009

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=...8ed8162fe3

p.s. a belated Happy Valentines Day Howard... Smile
Ray

The reason I am now younger is:::: I'm not aging any more due to 88 years of good clean living and showing respect for my elders. I have had 6 surgeries on my eyes in the last 3 months, I don't see any better but it feels nice when the nurse lays on you to hold you down when they remove your eyeball for a look at the back of it.
Ray, have a nice boat trip. I went on cruise once. From England to Greece, with a few stops along the way. When we got to Rome I jumped ship. If I'm going to be on a boat I want to fish. 60" from the water ain't gona do it. I left my friend on the ship and told her to have a good time. I went to Scotland and fished for salmon. Never did see her again, tho I heard her brother wanted to talk to me.
Howard, are you off to beaner country again?
This Friday if the temp is up a bit, I'm going to start fishing again, but only on Fridays. If I don't post a fishing report it's because I didn't catch any thing.
Dan
Ray, if you got 6 years out of your PC, it was time for the hard drive to fail. I doubt if the security update had anything to do with it. I'm getting ready to put new hard drives in 2 of my machines just so that doesn't happen to me. I received the drives early last week, but haven't had the time to mess with them. You can do the same thing. Install a new drive and new operating system and make your defective drive a slave drive. You may find that you can access some of your lost stuff and suck it over to the new drive. Then trash the old one.
Time's Fun When You're Having Flies!