Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
40 degree temp drop over night and flurries this morning
#1
I hope it doesn't get cold enough to stick. There's nothing funnier than a native Texan trying to drive in ice and snow. JD should be getting his snow shoes out shortly Wink
Reply
#2
The dog wanted to go out at 5 AM. I dutifully got out of bed and into sweats, put on my heavy range coat and gloves and ventured forth. Well, he sniffed and did his thing as I turned my back and collar to the 25 degree 35mph northerly breeze. Broke the ice on his water bucket so he could quench the thirst built up when awakening me from my long winter's nap Big Grin

And this folks, is the reason I left icy Maryland and the Chesapeake for the sunbelt. :eek: 24 years ago at this time, we were finishing the refit of our 41' cruiser, Vista, in Deale, Maryland. We spent Christmas on the boat which wasn't too bad (we had spent Christmas Eve in a local pub singing carols while imbibing good Irish whiskey).

   

On New Years Eve we were ready to move the boat from Deale to Annapolis. It was bitter cold and the fog thick. When trying to crank the engines, I discovered that both fuel pumps were leaking. We found a mechanic and had them replaced. We set out late on a gray sea that merged flawlessly with the grey sky. Halfway to Annapolis the port engine died. Gas was a bit low in the starboard tank (the gas dock in Deale was closed) and that’s when I discovered there was no cross-flow valve.

BJ was blue but she manned the helm while I tried to dead-reckon our way (neither the LORAN nor radar functioned). I was about on my knees in prayerful thanksgiving when we found and rounded the Thomas Point light. But we made it into Annapolis Harbor on one engine (something I got real good at over the years with 2 aged Chrysler 440’s).

We got into the slip and celebrated New Years at the local pub at the head of the dock. But this was the winter of ’84-’85 – the year that Reagan’s inauguration parade was cancelled and the ceremony moved indoors. The Bay and harbor froze over and we were awakened each morning by the Coast Guard ice breaker clearing the harbor (breaking ice makes a good noise coming up from thru the frozen hull).

Scraped ice and snow off the deck every morning so we could get to the dock (a nasty trip on a high tide). The dock was worse. The water heater quit, the heater in the marina’s women’s head was busted. We kept the cabin warm once we added a 15k kerosene heater to the Cruise Air (which never cooled or heated properly). That was quite a winter.

Come to think of it, Texas weather ain’t half bad Wink But I plan to retire further south.
"Fishing is an excuse to be on the water"
Reply
#3
well, it's snowing here. Too funny. You have to have a sense of humor with south Texas weather. I made a big pot of chili and we have the fireplace going. It's not bad.

Dan, go figure trying to get a Mopar 440 started in cold and rain. Wink Dodges still don't like cold weather either. When we get all 53 to start on the same day, it's a good day.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
Reply
#4
Looks like it will be back in the eightys by this weekendBig Grin .We had some of the white stuff here in the the hill country.I got a little lazy last night and did not unload some of my tools.What a mistake!
[Image: DSCN1113.jpg]


[Image: DSCN1112.jpg]




[Image: DSCN1122.jpg]
Reply
#5
Where those pics taken in Mont or Wis. Surly not south of the Mason Dixon Line. Rolleyes~ Dan
Reply
#6
here's a couple more. Most of it was gone this morning.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
           
Reply
#7
I may have to consider Belize for retirement Mont Big Grin Next thing we'll see you ice skating on the tanks.
"Fishing is an excuse to be on the water"
Reply
#8
WHIMPS!!! You call that snow???? !!!! I have more frost in my deepfreeze than that!!!! Big Grin
There is always one more bottle of BatJuice to be drunk, one more woman to admire, and one more fish to catch before you die! Smile
Reply
#9
Bryan/BC Wrote:WHIMPS!!! You call that snow???? !!!! I have more frost in my deepfreeze than that!!!! Big Grin
hey, not all of us have 150 proof blood amigo. Here's a few more


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
                   
Reply
#10
I just checked the weather---

Quote:Snowfall warning in effect.

TonightCloudy. Rain at times mixed with snow beginning overnight. Low plus 1. FridayDay: Rain at times mixed with snow changing to snow in the afternoon. Snowfall amount 2 cm except locally 10 cm inland. Becoming windy in the afternoon. High plus 3.
Night: Snow ending in the evening then cloudy. Amount 2 cm. Wind northwest 30 km/h increasing to 40 to 60 in the evening. Low minus 1. SaturdayA mix of sun and cloud with 60 percent chance of flurries. High plus 1. SundayA mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 7. High minus 3. MondaySunny. Low minus 7. High minus 4

Guess its not a good time to get smug...:o
There is always one more bottle of BatJuice to be drunk, one more woman to admire, and one more fish to catch before you die! Smile
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  big night for Houston Mont 5 622 10-31-2017, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Mont
  Got to check the roof for leaks this morning JD 7 1,009 12-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Howard/Jax
  Houston is doing the happy dance this morning Mont 18 1,849 10-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Mont
  my Dad's garden made the paper this morning Mont 15 1,563 10-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Last Post: JD
  nice morning on the bay Mont 1 713 10-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Last Post: JD
  Monday morning's procedure JD 10 1,645 05-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Last Post: JD
  yesterday morning PK 1 766 04-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Last Post: JD
  500 mile road trip this morning Mont 9 1,293 12-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Mont
  good night on the strip Mont 7 1,071 08-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Mont
  what we woke up to this morning.. PK 41 4,115 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Bryan/BC

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)