Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howard...
Coney Island's Astroland...closes today... I guess this is the end of the end for Coney ...

http://www.wnbc.com/news/17413447/detail...=mainclick

more pics.. those on WNBC aren't too spiffy .. http://brooklynpix.com/catalog12f.php?locality_no=11201
I had heard and seen that the Woman that owns Astroland was having a problem with the owner of the property.

Nothing stays the same . No Astroland, no Rockaway Playland. No Ebbets Field, no Polo Grounds and soon to be no Yankee Stadium.

I am glad we have memories of all of the above.
In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made non Fishermen.
Howard/Jax Wrote:I had heard and seen that the Woman that owns Astroland was having a problem with the owner of the property.

Nothing stays the same . No Astroland, no Rockaway Playland. No Ebbets Field, no Polo Grounds and soon to be no Yankee Stadium.

I am glad we have memories of all of the above.

ab-so-lude-lee... and usually memories are always 'more better-er'Big Grin
We lost Astroworld around here a few years back. It had all gone the gangs and other than desirables before it closed. The land was cleared and there's a huge music festival planned later this year for it. I had some good times at ours and I am sure y'all will miss yours. Hopefully, our festival will bring back some of the good times.
I didn't go there as much as you guys, since I lived out on Long Guyland; but it was a great place and great dogs at Nathan's. Seems like it was always about this crowded, too.

[Image: coney39.jpg&key=CONEY%2039]
Time's Fun When You're Having Flies!
HeHeHE, Joe, you were the little one just to right of center on the bottom of the pictureBig Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Zane
I think the thing I miss the most from the old days is eat a great meal and not worring if it was going to kill me with cancer or a heart attack,but life is still good.Fished a lot the last couple of days.Not much catching ,but a lot of fishing. Rusty
Joe/GA Wrote:I didn't go there as much as you guys, since I lived out on Long Guyland; but it was a great place and great dogs at Nathan's. Seems like it was always about this crowded, too.

[Image: coney39.jpg&key=CONEY%2039]

that Nathan's corner is looking toward the southwest... diagonally across the street about three storefronts in from the northeast corner of Surf and Stillwell Avenues is where my Uncle Mike had his newspaper and magazine store.. I w*rked there as a kid in the summers helping him out for many years.. lived about a mile or so from there growing up in Coney Island-Brooklyn in the 50's before we moved out to 'Lung-guy-lan' and the 'burbs in the '60's Big Grin Cool

here's a better view of the area
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=...1&t=h&z=15
Zane Wrote:HeHeHE, Joe, you were the little one just to right of center on the bottom of the pictureBig Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Ah! You did recognize me Zane! Big Grin
Time's Fun When You're Having Flies!
Joe/GA Wrote:Ah! You did recognize me Zane! Big Grin

yeah butt did anybody recognize Howard who was 'olde' back when this was taken in 1925

or a better 'closeup' as I see it..check out the tailor and his shop on the right...hehehehehee
:eek: Cool Big Grin :p
[Image: coneyTailorshopHoward1925_nb35-1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Hanukah Howard Jack Hexter 2 434 12-25-2019, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Joe/GA
  Happy New Year, Howard! Joe/GA 1 956 10-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Mont
  Happy Birthday Howard! Mont 3 1,168 07-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Joe/GA
  Howard PK 2 986 01-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: PK