Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jupiter report
My son's girlfriend is having a baby, so there was a baby shower for her on Saturday. Not wanting to interfere with the lady's fun day, my son asked his boss if I could tag along for the fishing trip on Saturday. Of course his boss said yes and I showed up at the boat at 7:15. The rest of the crew, minus the boss (he was smart to cancel and stay home) showed up about a half hour later, with LARGE platters of sandwiches, fruit and antipasto, plus a couple 12 packs of beer. It was blowing East at 15-20 all day and with an outgoing tide, Jupiter Inlet, which is not nice during the best of conditions was breaking with 10' seas. Clearing the inlet in the 1969 55' Rybovich (that last winter had a $450,000 referb done) was not exactly a piece of cake, but the boat handled well and seas went from 10' to a 6' washing machine. In short order, 3 of the other four passengers were calling to the sea god "Ralph" leaving me and one other guy who was not too coordinated in the sloppy conditions to fish. We actually started fishing about 8:45 and in the 3 hours we fished before the crew called uncle, I landed 5 of the 6 dolphin, average 10-12 pounds, making for a nice fish fry; the other un-sick man caught a large bonito and a dolphin. I missed and went 0 for 2 on sailfish bites. (I need a lot more practice on sails with dead bait and circle hooks)
I think of all the food brought on board, there was 2, maybe 3 sandwiches eaten, a couple of grapes and pieces of watermelon, and maybe 2 beers were cracked before we hit the inlet. My son Corey took the rest home and we had a great dinner that evening.

This is my son rigging in the cockpit with his mate climbing the ladder to the flybridge.

[Image: Apava_zpsw0azhzhk.jpg]
nice catchin'.. it looked quite nice and flat 'at the dock' where I would have stayed.. 10' seas.. heck 6' seas and I woulda stayed right there these days.. the only thing that could happen in seas like that is that I would get beaten ..battered and bruised all over..Big Grin Big Grin
That you could stand up to bring in the fish is pretty good Jack. That boat can take a lot more that the crew Smile

We went to the Galveston jetties Saturday morning as the forecast was for SSE at 10-15. The breeze was more ESE into an ebb tide so we opted to go back inside and fish. Short and steep in a 21' boat with no lee hiding places.

p.s. PK ain't skeered of a few seas

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Fishing is an excuse to be on the water"
Daddy always says any trip you walk away from, is a good one. I would have opted for the 3 hour ICW booze cruise, but it sounds like you made the best of it. That boat is sure an eye catcher.
Glad y'all caught fish, Jack. I fished last Monday after the storm. It's been blowing all week. We were s'posed to go out today, but it's still nasty. Hopefully it will be calm by Friday. ~~Greg~~
JD Wrote:That you could stand up to bring in the fish is pretty good Jack. That boat can take a lot more that the crew Smile

We went to the Galveston jetties Saturday morning as the forecast was for SSE at 10-15. The breeze was more ESE into an ebb tide so we opted to go back inside and fish. Short and steep in a 21' boat with no lee hiding places.

p.s. PK ain't skeered of a few seas

been in worse than that onboard the General John Pope my first FREE cruise April 1967 avoiding a Typhoon .. and this one on the Statendam in 2009.. a bit 'sporting seas' and winds.. heading northbound off the Pacific West Coast at the Gulf of Tehuantepac off the coast of Mehico https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tehuantepec

from the Statendam's TV Info Channel

[Image: IMG_1239-1%20030109-M.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1248-1-M.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1243-1%20530am%20030109-M.jpg]
No thank you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fishing Report 10/13 Jack Hexter 2 24 Yesterday, 07:39 AM
Last Post: SpeckTackler
  Fishing report 9/27 Jack Hexter 1 254 09-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Howard/Jax
  Canadian Weather Report Bryan/BC 7 1,193 01-16-2017, 11:35 PM