Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild and wet fishing day trip !
Got chased into harbor to shelter under the masts of a bunch of tall sailboats when a thunder storm started chasing me and my partner when we were on the water salmon fishing. First saw the lightning strikes hitting an island about 6 miles away. Storm squall seemed to be leaving the area until we got hit by a downpour and cracks of thunder and lightning almost directly overhead. We ran for shore and the sailboats when we could feel the the electrical current in the air,, scared the chit out of us. Several waves of torrential down pores gave the bilge pump a work out. Took the rods out of the rocket launchers to reduce our profile... It passed in an hour and we resumed fishing for a nice catch or a 14 lb and a 22 lb chinook salmon. But it got me wondering-- Fl is considered the lightening capital of North America. What do you guys do in Tx and FL do when caught by a sudden lightening storm?
There is always one more bottle of BatJuice to be drunk, one more woman to admire, and one more fish to catch before you die! Smile
First, congrats of on the nice Salmon.

Bryan/BC Wrote:What do you guys do in Tx and FL do when caught by a sudden lightening storm?

Pretty much know when there's a good chance of pop-up t-storms and generally don't go out. I do have Sirius XM weather on the Garmin and enable the weather overlay just in case I have to run back in.

When we used to sail we were caught out a number of times. There is a cone of protection around the helm formed by the masts and rigging that will generally protect you but holding onto the helm with mechanical steering was always a potential problem. Never took a direct hit.

On the Mako, the T-top surrounds you with some metal, but the best advice is to get as low in the boat as possible, disconnect the radio antenna(s) and don't touch any metal until the lightning abates. And pray Wink

http://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release....6HWWDVvA8I
"Fishing is an excuse to be on the water"
Around here, it's the lightning in the distance you gotta watch out for. It will be out ahead of the storm itself.
when we had our boat-- if any chance of t-storms in forecast we didn't go out.. but if we got stuck too far out we tried to make it back ASAP if not running toward the storm.. sometimes one has to grab their ankles and prepare for the shaft

if you've never heard it.. listen to a graphite rod making that high pitch whizzing sound.. you can't miss hearing it.. do NOT touch it or drop the rod right away... that's a sure sign of lightning in the area even if far away.. had it happen a few times over the many years I fished the local pier to myself and others
I like the "dont go out when Tstorms are forecast"... however this time the only weather warning was for the far side of the Strait of Georgia.... 12-15 miles away. But I should have of known better. Up here boaters feel that the marine forecasts from Environment Canada are wrong in some aspect about 50% of the time. Govt cutbacks hammered the ability of the agency to give full service. Ray-- I have never heard of the rod sound-- but at one point before the booms began, my partner asked me "Do you hear that??? a whistling sound ? "" I didnt hear it, but my hearing sucks bigtime, and I dont want to risk losing a $2000 hearing aid in the water as I bend over to net a fish!!.. So I dont wear them in the boat. And Mont-- that is exactly what happened. The only warning was the CRACK that came out of nowhere. Unusual occurance up here, but tstorms do happen infrequently.... Lesson learned-- I will run away like a scared rabbit even if the strike are quite a few miles away.
There is always one more bottle of BatJuice to be drunk, one more woman to admire, and one more fish to catch before you die! Smile
I stopped listening to NOAA a long time ago. I recall the only time I ever had a real problem was with a cold front supposedly coming thru at 10pm. It hit us while we on the water in the Grady. The winds shifted 180 to onshore straight line 70+ and drove us into the surf. I had everyone abandon ship onto the beach (hull was pounding in the surf) while the hull filled and the starboard outboard was underwater. A guy in a Bayliner down beach was holed banging against rocks.

Long story short, the police picked up the shore-bound and the CG Auxiliary and police boat helped me pump out the bilge and refloat it. They followed me back to the dock with only one engine and still using a manual pump to finish clearing the bilge. Needed a new power head on the starboard which was covered by insurance.

Nope. No more NOAA.
"Fishing is an excuse to be on the water"
Ouch! You got lucky ! Glad it didnt turn out any worst ...........
Bryan/BC Wrote:I like the "dont go out when Tstorms are forecast"... however this time the only weather warning was for the far side of the Strait of Georgia.... 12-15 miles away. But I should have of known better. Up here boaters feel that the marine forecasts from Environment Canada are wrong in some aspect about 50% of the time. Govt cutbacks hammered the ability of the agency to give full service. Ray-- I have never heard of the rod sound-- but at one point before the booms began, my partner asked me "Do you hear that??? a whistling sound ? "" I didnt hear it, but my hearing sucks bigtime, and I dont want to risk losing a $2000 hearing aid in the water as I bend over to net a fish!!.. So I dont wear them in the boat. And Mont-- that is exactly what happened. The only warning was the CRACK that came out of nowhere. Unusual occurance up here, but tstorms do happen infrequently.... Lesson learned-- I will run away like a scared rabbit even if the strike are quite a few miles away.

that's the sound..if you were holding a rod when it made that sound you'd know it for sure

found these articles on it
http://nooga.com/166751/dont-learn-your-...e-hard-way

http://www.onthewater.com/lightning
Thanks Ray-- never too old to learn !
Guess we are in a weather pattern that just wont quit. Yesterday, same story== rain thunder-- run for cover !!! But fishing was good before the storm hit. Today.flat calm... a 25 lb ling cod and a 15 lb one into the boat https://www.google.ca/search?q=lingcod+t...AmEQsAQIGg and several coho salmon. Then the weather turned -- we saw the black cloud coming so we headed for the launching ramp. Rum cocktails by 2 pm.. Yes Rusty-- Life IS great!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fishing Report 10/13 Jack Hexter 2 24 Yesterday, 07:39 AM
Last Post: SpeckTackler
  Fishing report 9/27 Jack Hexter 1 252 09-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Howard/Jax
  Road trip! Mont 6 810 07-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Joe/GA
  Annual trip with Capt Bouncer Smith Jack Hexter 0 328 04-21-2019, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Jack Hexter
  Just an average trip Jack Hexter 1 512 07-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: JD
  Snapper trip ~~Snakeman~~ 5 692 06-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Mont
  Why I'm not offshore fishing today JD 2 587 06-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Last Post: JD
  made a road trip with Mom to pick up her new puppy Mont 4 755 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Last Post: SpeckTackler
  Yankee Capts Fishing Jack Hexter 4 790 03-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Last Post: ~~Snakeman~~
  Fishing report, 11/25/14 Jack Hexter 3 929 11-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Mont