Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I heard crashes in the night
In the light I can see why. I'm going to have to buy a new chain saw now.

Pics soon. The area is probably a disaster of sorts.
"Fishing is an excuse to be on the water"
The 10 PM news lead story last night was a live, on the scene reporter in Dallas showing them waiting for water to turn into ice. I take it that happened. Be careful swinging that saw and stay hydrated. It's easy to over do it in the cold and not realize what's happening. I didn't have any trouble getting the dogs back inside this morning so I could come to work. Smile where it's nice and warm.
Yes, it turned to ice. Sleeting now. A rather eerie sound as everything else is dead quiet:

When it's safe to get near the big oaks I'll check for split trunks. One large branch just missed the truck. There are several smaller ones that I can see are beyond repair. BJ took these so I haven't had a chance to get a close look.

I'll take the Nikon out later.

Going to be a roaring fire day. Fortunately we still have power. I see thare are .25 to .5 mil without electricity.

Later
I got out and looked around. It will be awhile before I can get close enough to look at the saddles of the oaks but they are heavily damaged. What doesn't show real well are the hangers. Almost got my neighbor's Suburban. The pines are pretty much shot.

It's 25* and the wind is blowing 25. It might be next week sometime before the cleanup begins. Was talking with out facilities director over in the district. 6 campuses without power and he's concerned about pipes freezing tonight. The airport is closed. Now to relax Rolleyes and shop for a chain saw later.

Yikes, what a mess. I think you need to shop for a chainsaw crew old friend. I learned my lesson with trees a long time ago. It's still raining here, not bad, but just enough to keep everything wet. I traded my denim jacket for a good leather coat this morning. It doesn't take much being wet in this kind of weather to really feel cold.
We just had another come down, neighbor's oak - now I'm stuck. Both sides. While I was out I heard a gunshot from the large one on my property :eek: That's why I'm not walking under them Smile

The big one was just trimmed ($4bills) to get 2 12" limbs from over the house. I may well have to call in a pro.

p.s. Cleared a path thru with the recip saw. Can get the truck out now.

Just be careful and stay safe. Ice covered trees are no fun at all.

Sure glad we don't get that kind of cold. We get maybe 2-3 days a winter where they say we will have a few hours of hard freeze in the very early AM. I just shut the sprinkler system and open a relief valve and will run the pool filtration system all night to keep the water moving.
In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made non Fishermen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  big night for Houston Mont 5 622 10-31-2017, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Mont
  anyone heard from Joe? Mont 3 889 07-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Joe/GA
  good night on the strip Mont 7 1,071 08-11-2014, 05:51 PM
  good MNF game last night Mont 2 871 10-08-2013, 09:42 PM
  Sarge Junior picked up a big win last night Mont 5 1,018 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
  We enjoyed fireworks last night and a nice ride today Mont 3 1,056 06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
  A few videos from Friday night drag racing Mont 6 1,165 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
  Tied up for the night at POINT Mont 9 1,304 04-03-2011, 08:30 AM
  has anyone heard if the Dockside got sold recently PK 0 930 10-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Last Post: PK
  Faith made second chair in Flute last night Mont 9 1,596 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Joe/GA