Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a couple of a new system for bleeding and filleting on board
Fishing at Port Hardy on our last trip this weekend was steady. Not spectacular , but still pretty darn good. This was my best, just shy of 30#
[Image: IMGP2225-1.jpg]

I had previously fabricated a bleeding trough that hooked on to the false transom as I got tired of trying to keep fish blood out of the boat. It drains out the stern.
[Image: IMGP2227-1.jpg]

Next I added a removable filleting table that fit on top of the trough as I got tried of waiting to access the public cleaning table at the Port Hardy boat ramp. Sometime the wait seemed to be an hr. and it was frustrating watching some guy that obviously had no clue what he was doing butcher his fish.

Now I can fillet the fish during a lull in fishing , put the fish on ice in the cooler and head for home right away after pulling the boat out. My partner loves it (Because I do the filleting maybe!!)

[Image: IMGP2212.jpg]

[Image: IMGP2229.jpg]
There is always one more bottle of BatJuice to be drunk, one more woman to admire, and one more fish to catch before you die! Smile
Nice set-up, Bryan! Also, nice leetle feeshies!Big Grin Big Grin
Time's Fun When You're Having Flies!
So, do you save the heads & post them off to the gummint, or what?Big Grin Salmon Head Recovery Program. What won't the feds think of next?

Nice fish, BatBreath, & a neat set-up. ~~Greg~~
Basically --yes. If the salmon is missing the small adipose fin on the back, between the tail and the dorsal fin, there is a good chance that it will have a binary coded wire tag in the nose. That enables the fish managers to monitor where the fish originated in the US or Canada. Wa. and Or. make a much larger proportion of their hatchery salmon than BC does. Its a useful tool, but BC is cheaping out .... Pity, as in some areas only the clipped fish can be kept.
There is always one more bottle of BatJuice to be drunk, one more woman to admire, and one more fish to catch before you die! Smile
Very nice system.....and fish! I noticed that your ice chest has some sort of weird markings on it, what does "cn" mean? Smile

I've seen a few boats around here with something similar but its designed to fit into a rod hold and was never sure how well it would work.
Nice feesh; beautiful scenery.
Tks for sharing.

Its been too many years since I fished the west coast.....that made me miss it.
Shake-- the first mark is minimum length head off, size limit for lingcod

The second mark ( CN) is the minimum length for chinook salmon in the areas I fish. (62cm)

The third is the minimum length for lingcod with head on (65cm)

There are a bunch more things I could include, but these are the main minimum size limits for much of the coast. Zane would have to mark the slot limit for CN in the area he and Jack are fishing on the west coast of Vancouver Island. You almost need a lawyer in your back pocket these days...
Jesse-- that headland you see behind me is Cape Caution. Next stop west is Japan, it is renown as a killer piece of water but on the day we were out, it was like a lake.
Rules in your part of the world are obviously different than down here. We are not allowed to clean fish on the water. Particularly any fish that has a size limit must remain whole until it is back on shore. Which means making ceviche on the boat is a no-no, & of course I would never think of doing that.Big Grin

~~Greg~~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a couple of fatso's PK 2 1,408 04-28-2019, 04:42 PM
Last Post: SpeckTackler
  Been a pretty good couple of days Bryan/BC 8 2,434 08-30-2015, 05:01 AM
Last Post: PK
  Wild couple of days..... Bryan/BC 17 4,161 10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Last Post: PK
  a couple of the latest critters around here Mont 12 3,963 12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Mont
  picked up a couple of nice ones, yesterday Mont 6 2,666 03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
  Hay Mont... Re: Florida Surf Fishing Board PK 1 1,979 09-19-2008, 10:31 AM
  we jumped a couple of nice sail fish this morning Mont 16 5,135 01-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Joe/GA