Forums
Tahsis Jack Hexter - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://greengrouper.com/ggforums)
+-- Forum: Boards (http://greengrouper.com/ggforums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: GreenGrouper (http://greengrouper.com/ggforums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Tahsis Jack Hexter (/showthread.php?tid=6)

Tahsis Jack Hexter - Zane - 08-29-2006

As I said before, I got to spend the day fishing with a grouper that I had not met before. Jack Hexter was a good crew member and gentleman we caught our limits (counting the ones that we released looking for a #40 like my friend Ed caught the day before I arrived) We had a little excitment as a boat was sinking in our area and we responded to help, only to find that someone had already removed the guys from the sinking boat. In true grouper fashion we resumed fishing about fity ysrds from the accident and proceeded to get a double hook-up within site of the victims of the mishap and the guys that were losing their day of fishing by being the savers. Jack is going to tell you some bogus story about my netting ability. It's not true, I meant to knock that fish off on the first try. Regretably it took me three tries before I could knock it off:p When he finally gets back to post his side of the story ask him about the #12 downrigger ball that he threw overboard because he was done using it for the day:confused: Life is good and I finally finished with the vacuum sealing and the smoking. This food gathering can be hard workSmile.

Monty, the web site looks really good and we foregive you for the lost posts. Please note that I feel cramped in a 24' boat but I hope you guy enjoy your yaks.

Tahsis Jack Hexter - Bryan/BC - 08-30-2006

Your life is just one big adventure-- sinking boats and double headers--wow!

Did you get Jack all covered in blood-- he seemed to like that when I fished with him..:eek:

And whats the story with the boat that sank-- this is all we got from the paper

Quote:Two men rescued as pleasure boat sinks

Two Courtenay men were rescued from the water off Vancouver Island’s west coast after their 20-foot pleasure boat sank during a fishing trip.

Several vessels answered the Tuesday mayday call, including the Uchuck III, a 136-foot vessel that carries freight and passengers through Nootka, Esperanza and Kyoquot sounds.

Uchuck captain Fred Mather took the two men on board from a U.S. pleasure craft that was first to the scene.

"They were fine," said Mather in an interview by satellite phone.

"One guy was wet because he was trying to save his boat, but they seemed in pretty good shape."

The sinking happened off Esperanza Inlet when the boat took a wave over the stern while one of the men was bringing in a fish, said Mather.

Sounds like they got a little too close to the surf???

Tahsis Jack Hexter - Zane - 08-30-2006

Rough day, small boat will not much of a transom. It seems that the plastic cover in the engine well got dislodged. First wave in the bilge, second on their feet in the boat. GPS but they didn't know how to use it:confused: :confused: . Gave location as the whistle bouy and they were 3 miles N. and out 4 miles. Luckly someone was close enough to see them on the bow waving. They arrived and gave location and we were about six minutes behind them. They had them in their boat by then and didn't need our help. About five hours later a small salvage tug went out and got it. It was riding high at the gevernment dock in Tahsis the next morning. Lessons Don't take small unseaworthy boats out in the ocean, don't completely panic if things start to go to sh&t and it helps to have an idea of where you are.

Tahsis Jack Hexter - Jack Hexter - 09-02-2006

I really want to thank Zane and Ed for taking me fishing while I was in Tahsis. The Fishing Fools is a great boat and Sam, the owner of the Maquinna Resort says it is the most active of the 40 boats he has moored there. The helm seats are really something else. I think that between the springs and shock absorbers, you could sleep at 30 konts in 10' seas.

While fishing with Zane and Ed, I learned a few things about fishing in the Northwest. Though we put some fish in the boat, it was in spite of and not because of Zane's netting skills. This came to point while I was hooked to a foul hooked fish that I led to the boat on 2 occasions, at which point, Zane thrashed with the net and hit the fish with the frame of the net while pushing the fish away from the boat, causing me to have to recover line again and again. After a while, the fish refused to come closed than 40' off the transom and was doing it's best imitation of a helicopter just under the surface of the water. Ed finally pulled the downriggers and backed toward the fish so Zane could again try to knock it with the net. He did this so successfully on the third try, he knocked the hook out of the fish and caused a successful release.

Now about the downrigger ball. I was being helpful in preparing the cockpit of Fishing Fools for the run back to the dock. I grabbed the ball and hung it on a clip on thebottom of the downrigger arm, where they had ridden on the way out. The plastic clip opened and the ball reached the bottom in about 200' faster than it had gone down all day. Note to self. if ever again, you have the opportunity to use a plastic clip on a downrigger, run away from it)

The "rescue" was almost a non-event as far as the Fishing Fools was concerned. This small boat with an open transom took a wave over the transom and filled the cockpit. The two occupants, instead of starting the boat or going to the bow, stayed in the stearn to try to land the fish they had on. Instead of starting the boat and powering out of their problem (The stearn would have drained) they panicked when the second wave filled the stearn and called mayday on the VHF. They did not know their position and did not broadcast it, did not know how to read the GPS, and really did not have enough fuel to make it back home even if they had not sunk. Once the occupants were successfully on board the Bottom Line, the first boat on the scene, the one individual even asked to be put back aboard his partially submerged vessel to retrieve his tackle.. Very likely candidate for a Darwin Award.

Once again, thanks to Zane and Ed for a good time and a good day offshore.
[Image: Day1Bigfish.jpg]
[Image: Day1.jpg]

Tahsis Jack Hexter - Bryan/BC - 09-03-2006

Jack-- good to see that you had help in preservung our salmon by practicing catch and release (well-- almost "catch" Big Grin ) Good on the whole crew!

Sorry I didnt get over to see you, but getting an 85yr old mother-in-law prepared to move into a retirement home ( and she aint too happy about it) has kept me close to the barn.

I have had to bail from Zanes Sept coho trip as well--- well- there is always next year.

But I cant complain about the crimp on my fishing as I have managed a couple of day trips for sockeye at Campbell River-- now thats getting close to combat fishing if there ever was one! Rod tip to rod tip in the tide rip. Make a mistake and get yelled at real quick! But TASTEEE!

Anyway-- I understand fully the thing about the plastic downrigger ball clips-- I lost a couple of cannonballs before I went looking for a better way.

Tahsis Jack Hexter - Zane - 09-03-2006

We never claimed to be good, just really persistent. Downrigger balls, we pour our own. My good friend Jack was the only one on my watch to throw one overboard. The total count for this summer is fourteen D balls and the downriggers were respooled at least three times. 8^( Stuff happens. The guest before Jack let the downrigger down 258' when it only had 250' of cable. As for taking the three times to knock the foul hooked salmon off the hook with the net, everyone knows that you are not suppose to snag sportfish 8^)).